In the realm of comfort food, the King Ranch Chicken Casserole stands tall. This Tex-Mex staple has warmed many hearts and filled countless bellies with its creamy, cheesy goodness. It’s a dish that brings together simple ingredients to create a flavor that’s both familiar and exciting. Let’s dive into the recipe and uncover the secrets of this beloved casserole.
To make a classic King Ranch Chicken Casserole, you’ll need:
- 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (10.5 oz each) of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 oz) of diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Sauté Vegetables: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and green bell peppers, sautéing until they are soft.
- Combine Soups: In a large bowl, mix the condensed cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, diced tomatoes and green chilies, chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir until well combined.
- Layer the Casserole: In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, start your first layer with half of the torn corn tortillas. Follow this with a layer of half of the cooked chicken, half of the soup mixture, and then a layer of cheese. Repeat these layers once more.
- Bake: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Final Touch: Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden.
- Rest and Serve: Let the casserole stand for about 10 minutes before serving. This allows the layers to set, making it easier to cut and serve.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a hearty meal on its own but can be complemented with a side of refried beans, a fresh salad, or some Mexican rice. For those who enjoy a bit of heat, serving it with jalapeños or a dollop of sour cream can add an extra layer of flavor.
The King Ranch Chicken Casserole is more than just a dish; it’s a celebration of Tex-Mex cuisine. Its simplicity makes it a go-to recipe for family dinners, potlucks, or any occasion that calls for a comforting meal. Give this recipe a try and experience the rich tapestry of flavors that has made this casserole a beloved dish in many homes.